Friday, February 21, 2014

what she said

i don't get political on facebook.  i appreciate those who are passionate about politics and for the most part i find some of the online discourse entertaining.  it keeps social media interesting.  and the beauty of facebook is that you can practically edit what you see and from whom.
i adopt amy poehler's motto:  keep it factual and friendly.
i'll talk about my kids.  the most controversial issue i post about is which patio in dallas is best for a happy hour.  i abide by this self-imposed rule for a few reasons:
  • if you know me well enough, you absolutely know where i stand on political and social issues.  if someone cares to know, they can try to get to know me better first. 
  • confrontation makes me uncomfortable.  even innocent arguments between friends.  i am always waiting for it to go too far, because after that, things get weird and i get squirmy.
  • most likely, you are not going to change my mind.  and i can safely assume that i am not going to change yours.  so let's hug and have a margarita.
  • i completely respect those who are passionate about their beliefs and want to educate others about issues that are important to them.  i am uncomfortable bringing that attention to myself, but if that's your thing, do it. i envy your confidence.
now don't get me wrong, some people's ignorant rants on facebook get me all fired up.  there have been a few times where i have wanted to reply in complete annoyance and frustration over what some people say (people i care about in real life, btw).  chris recently had to talk me off the ledge when i almost went off on someone about....
wait for it....
beyonce.

i liked her grammy performance.  there i said it.

according to some, that makes me un-christian like.
to others that makes me a shitty feminist.
i didn't want someone to pray for me because i regarded beyonce's performance as plain old artistic expression.  art is appreciated (or not) differently by everyone.  in my heart of hearts, i didn't think her performance painted some big picture that the youth of america are going straight to hell. nobody was making any arguments out-loud that i could fully get on board with.  that is until i read churl's reflection of the whole she-bang.

i know churl in real-life and i recently discovered she writes a blog when she published this post specifically.  and when i read it i thought:
"what she said".
"yes, yes, yes, yes." 
"this makes sense to me."
"damn, i wish i could write like that."
"she's smart, and kind, and pretty, and smart".
"i'm gonna hug her neck next time i see her".

her's a taste of what churl wrote about jay-z and beyonce:


let him worry about the right combination of cardio and weights that shapes an ass that perfect. let him worry about waxing or shaving or laser hair removal. let him worry about the holidays and all them pounds he gained.
but he can't be bothered with that cause he's the business genius and he's got power moves to make.
which is why he has on a tuxedo. why he's fully suited and booted and she's got her ass out. cause she's got to stay camera ready from the rooter to the tooter. and that's a lot of worrying.
oh please, please, please go read the rest here.  the last paragraph sings.
lastly, in keeping with the theme of reading something that so clearly strikes a chord in my heart, here is a blurb from a blog post about parenthood and marriage that i cannot seem to shake.
I was both lonely and absolutely desperate to be alone. I was saturated -- just BOMBARDED with touch and then the second I put down this baby I yearned to smell her sweet skin again. I was simultaneously bored out of my skull and completely overwhelmed with so much to do. Today was too much and not enough. It was loud and silent. It was brutal and beautiful. I was at my very best today and then, just a moment later, at my very worst.

give the entire artcle a read here.  i know everyone's experiences are different, but this woman's testament brought a tear to my eye because it just felt so...familiar (especially that part about escaping to target).
does it strike a chord with you?
have you read anything lately that speaks to who you are at your core?
i'd love to know.

love,
coco






1 comment:

  1. I love everything about this. (I loved Beyonce's performance too. Must be a Texie thing).

    ReplyDelete