Wednesday, December 12, 2012

what i have learned

last year if you would have told me that i would run 6.4 miles in the dallas marathon relay by the end of 2012, i would have smacked you upside the head called you a liar laughed.
{awesome sign made by a friend from my group.  they cam out and cheered me on, y'all.  it meant the world.}

for those of you who have followed this blog for a while (bless your souls) know that i joined a beginners running group last january with three goals in mind:
1) to get supermadel skinny.
3) to do something i never thought i could.

two outta three ain't bad.
{my sis, my dad and myself before the relay}

this running gig has taught me a few things that i would like to share:

running doesn't make you skinny.  let me start over, running doesn't make me skinny.  i thought the weight would fly off.  not so much.  dieting makes you skinny, that and not eating a spoonful of nutella straight from the jar like it's chocolate pudding.  not that i just did that or anything.

it doesn't get easier.  i thought i would reach a point in my training where it would all click.  no-siree-bob.  every run is still a struggle.  i am constantly battling that voice inside my head that is begging me to quit.  but i don't.  which is how i miraculously went form running a minute/walking a minute for thirty minutes to running a slooooow 6.4 miles without stopping.
{my teammates and two of my very best girls, emily and jenn}

 given a couple of glorious hours of freetime, i don't think i will ever say to myself, "cort, go run!  sounds like a blast!"  this is how i know i am not a real runner.  instead i will ask myself, "should i cook tonight or should we go to matt's?"  and we all know the answer to that question.

 i may run at times as fast as some people walk, but i will. not. stop.

although i still don't love the physical act of running, i have discovered a few thinngs i do love about the experience: running alongside a talker,  a dark night at white rock lake, cold air filling my lungs and stinging my face, the way a group of people can hold me accountable.

who knew i would love these things???  not this girl.

will i train for a marathon?  oh hell no (i ran alongside those poor souls during the last few miles of their marathon.  they were in the cuts, y'all.  so, nothankyouverymuch.)

will i train for a half?  if someday it will ever take me less than an entire day to run one, then yes.
will i keep running?  don't mind if i do.


{our relay team, the slow and steadies, post-race}

2 comments:

  1. this is so awesome, and exactly how i felt when i was doing those 5ks BEFORE this sweet little baby. I can't even imagine doing it now. But you give me hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The slow and steadies have won my heart! Way to go yall! Love each one of ya, muuuah!

    ReplyDelete